Monday, June 3, 2013

I love the book of Romans.  I'm especially fond of the 12th chapter, which inspired the name for this blog.  Paul's words:  "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer," are just as applicable to us today as they were to those living nearly 2000 years ago.  They outline the essence of how we are to live each day as followers of Christ.  Even though I've read them time and time again, I'm still finding new ways to apply them in my daily life.

Joyful in hope - There is no greater hope than that of Jesus and the salvation he brings. Why would we not shout for joy?  When the world around me or my own sinful nature try to bring me down, I find myself clinging to the hope I have in Christ Jesus.  I remember that His blood has washed our stains away.  We were dead in our transgressions and sins, but by God's grace we can truly live for eternity.  Now that's something to be happy about!

Patient in affliction - This is a tough one for me.  I've never had much use for that patience stuff, and every time I see it mentioned in Scripture...well, I'll admit - I cringe a little.  God really wants me to sit around and wait?  But every time I struggle with this, I eventually come to realize God has a significantly better grasp on time than I do (being the master of the universe and all).  He knows what I need and when I need it, and His timing is perfect.  It's not easy, but during times of affliction, I remember to remain joyful in hope.  It certainly helps pass the time.

Faithful in prayer - This is the bit that ties everything together.  It is a vital component to having an intimate relationship with God.  And most of us know it's essential, but be honest - do you pray?  I'm not talking that quick little: "Thanks for this food. Amen." you snap off before chowing down at lunch.  I'm talking about that shut-out-the-world, totally-focused, praising, talking, listening, heart-wrenching kind of prayer.  The kind where you sit down and tell God all the things that are on your mind, even down to the most seemingly minute detail.  It's this kind of quality time with the Lord that makes being joyful in hope and patient in affliction possible.  It doesn't matter if you don't always have the right words - just pray.

Here's the link to Romans 12: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans%2012&version=NIV.  If you haven't already (and hey, even if you have), I would encourage you to read it; it's a truly beautiful chapter with some very important reminders about how we should be leading our lives in this world.

And don't forget to always be "joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer."

No comments:

Post a Comment