Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Shine

One of my favorite songs lately is "Shine" by the Newsboys (http://youtu.be/givCI1M9Rh0).  It reminds me to show others God's love and "let it shine before all men, let 'em see good works, and then, let 'em glorify the Lord."  But for a long time I thought this meant I had to be doing some sort of religious activity like praying, worshiping, or Bible study.  Don't get me wrong, all of those things are wonderful ways to serve the Lord, but I've come to realize they're not the only ways we can reflect His greatness.  We can shine each and every day in ways that appear simple, trivial, or mundane.

A few months ago, a woman came up to me and asked: "Are you the girl who I see running every morning?  Bless your heart."  And I thought: Lady, what are you blessing me for?  I'm just a runner, not Mother Theresa.  I'm not running for any greater cause, just to stay in shape and because I enjoy it.  Yet she acted like I was doing something really special.  I totally didn't get it.  A few days later, I was approached by a girl at the gym who told me: "I hope you know that you're my hero."  Again, I was at an utter loss for words.  When I told this story to one of my friends, he told me: "I think it's because they see your strong faith."  Huh.  I had never considered that.  This was when I realized that people can shine for Christ in everything they do; they aren't limited to a certain set of God-glorifying activities.  Those around us can see that we as Christians are different-that we are filled with a hope that sets us apart from the rest.

Do you have a certain talent or ability, like singing, dancing, baking, sports, writing, etc.?  Or maybe something you just like to do?  Use it.  Show others around you that your heart is set on things above-not only when you're at church, but in every moment of your life.  Run with enthusiasm and a smile every day.  Dance like an idiot to your favorite praise music.  Sing, while your friends and coworkers around you complain.  "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men..." (Colossians 3:23).  If you do, people will take notice, and you will "shine before all men." There is no limit to the number of ways God can use you for His glory.

So go ahead, be different.  Shine.

"You are the light of the world.  A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl.  Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."
- Matthew 5:14-16

No comments:

Post a Comment