Sunday, June 16, 2013

Thankful for Godly Fathers

Happy Father's Day, everyone!

Our speaker in church today talked about how we should be grateful for our godly fathers, if we have them. As I sat there and listened, I began to realize just how much I owe my earthly dad.  I learned a great deal from his example.  Sure, he taught me things like how to throw a softball, shoot a gun, and use a hammer.  But what I really owe him for is how he taught me how to live a godly life through his example.  He brought us to church almost every Sunday, read devotions before our family meals, taught me to pray, was a church leader, and took every opportunity he could to expose me to God's Word.  Even someone as slow as me had to learn something from an example like that.

One of the greatest lessons he taught me was how to love.  He put up with all my antics, my tomboy stage (which I'm not sure I've entirely grown out of...), and the constant stream of sarcastic comments that flew out of my mouth.  No matter what I did, he loved me through it all.  It makes me sit back in awe when I realize how much greater our heavenly Father's love is for us.  We sin against him every single day, we deny him, ignore him, and disobey him.  And yet, He loves us with an unfailing, unfaltering love.  And just like our earthly fathers, he looks on us with pride when we obey him.  When you give your Father's Day card today, take a moment to say a little prayer thanking God for all he has done for you.  Take some time to make Him proud.

To close, I'd like to take my own advice and thank my heavenly father for the godly father he gave me.  I'm so grateful God blessed me with an earthly father who had the courage and strength to teach me to live for the Lord.  I honestly don't know who I'd be without you, Dad.

Proverbs 23:24:
"The father of a righteous man has great joy;
he who has a wise son delights in him." (NIV)




(p.s. My Star Wars obsession is totally your fault, Dad. ;P )

No comments:

Post a Comment